Back on the Coast, April 8


Just returned from an amazing trip to the North, visiting elephants, farming communities and attending a Ghost dance in the middle of nowhere (not a car in sight!).
Some of the highlights of last weeks were:
Finding that dance by asking a school teacher who was from the farming community where the dance was taking place.
Bicycled 30 miles on a dirt road to get there (my bottom is destroyed!) and slept on the ground in a farming compound with the kids, goats and chickens.
Broke an axle on a trotro ride and ended up in a ditch without a scratch.
Got peed on by a goat that was traveling on the trotro roof.
Distributed 7 soccer balls in a poor neighborhoods when I waited for a bus.
Had a rough 14 hour ride on dirt roads in a bus where there was no room for my knees. (Had to surrender after 2 hours of bitching and moaning agony!)
Currently staying on the beach near a tiny fishing village, enjoying the water and the serenity.
Banged and scratched my head while playing with kids in a small village.
Tomorrow I am chartering a bus and taking 18 kids from the school in the fishing village to outfit the soccer team with soccer shoes.
I am well. Feeling my heart open more everyday, humbled by the poverty here (in one of the most developed and stable African countries!).
PS. Internet is really scarce and slow so I can`t upload much pictures. See a few here slide show 1, slide show 2, slide show 3

No comments: