Accra, Ghana, March 10


Second day in Accra which means I survived my first one! I am staying at the Crystal Hostel, a budget hostel run by a Christian family in Darkuman, a funky but fun neighborhood North of the city. My roommates are Mathew, an American student on a scholarship, making a documentary on football, and Casper, a young British student who teaches English in the city.
I spent my first day getting acquainted with taking tro-tros (small buses), sqeezing myself amongsts the colorfull locals who are adorable and incredibly willing to help a lost tourist. I went to the University of Ghana where I was told musicians and dancers hang out. It was Sunday so no one was practicing but I met Double, a young Ghanean playing a two-string guitar under a tree. We had a little chat and he let me use his cell phone to contact Hammond, the young student that my friend Danielle, who spent a few months here studying dance, recommended I meet. Hammond and his side kick Howard, both twenty and computer students, came late last night to the hotel to meet me. We are meeting again today in an Internet Cafe and meet Franklin, a friend of theirs who is more familiar with the dance culture around the country.
See video clip

No comments: