Green Apple and Dance Church, Accra, March 17


The power has been out at the hostel and in many parts of the city, so my time at the keyboard has been limited. A couple days ago, I sat next to a lovely young woman in the tro-tro. Her name was Virginia and she was eating an apple. I was floored when she offered me a beautiful green apple! People here have such hearts!
I finally went to the local beach the other day but the sight of overweight westerners drinking cheap beer was less than appealing. I have been enjoying my young friends at the hostel and I took two of them to another rehearsal of Nana`s band last night.
Sunday morning, three of us from the hostel went to a local church-a 3 1/2 hour service! I went because I heard they danced but the dancing and singing was short and sweet, while the preaching was a hammering blitz that squeezed the devil out of me for a few hours at least. The sound must have exceeded 110 decibels and three preachers took turn demanding that the congregation (of a mere 30 or so people) come to service at leat 3 times a week to truly call themselves good Christians. I loved the dancing, but man, do they pound it on these poor souls!
Today, I got a multiple visa for Togo, Cote d`Ivoire, Benin, Niger and Burkina Faso, just in case the wind blows me accross borders. I am ready to get out of town, the heat and pollution are overwhelming. Accra has been good to me and I have made good friends. I won`t be hiring a guide afterall as I don`t want to spend 24/7 with someone I don`t really jive with. The fellow I really wanted to hire did not respond. I got that when these young men return to their villages, they are often asked to stay as shrine keepers or chiefs. But they have created their lives in the city and like it that way. I`m sure I`ll meet the guides that I will need along the way.

No comments: