A Power Strip for Nana, Accra, March 14


Oh boy, am I having a blast! Tuba, the young drummer who played for the school prayer service on Wednesday called me (I bought a cell phone for those who may want to call me: 011 233 24 876 1914) to invite me to his band practice. We crossed the neighborhood through the alleyways so I got to meet his Auntie and Grandma before going to a shaded grove near the soccer field/dump so he could have a toke with his rasta friends. I got to meet Nana and African Soldiers, two of his band fellows. The size of the joints were impressive and I explained to them that I was on a sabbatical from weed for the moment. We proceeded through the soccer grounds, where no less than a dozen teams of all ages were practicing, to the rehearsal place (
see video clip). A dozen musician and singers were already busy setting up mics and amps, and I marveled at how little equipment they had. I joined their circle for prayer before practice, and watched them play for a couple hours. What a treat of gorgeous harmonies with no less than 6 singers! This morning as I stepped out of the hostel, I ran into a school marching band. Also ran into Nana, one of the band singers and songwriters. He cuts hair at the barber shack next to the hostel, so I got my hair trimmed Ghana style! I took Nana to an electric store to buy a new power strip for their amplifiers because I noticed how worn-out theirs was at rehearsal last night. I want to help these guys get some equipment so if you feel inspired, go to my page on the Gypsie Nation website and please make a donation through my Paypal account. All funds will be used to help with the purchase of amplifiers and a drum kit (for a mere $300!). I am off to a soccer game with Franklin and then to the University for a dance performance by traditional local troupes.

No comments: