Out of Accra, March 20


Finally out of Accra and into the countryside. On my way out of town, I saw thousands of fruit bats hanging from trees and took it as a good omen for this new leg of my journey. I headed for the Volta River delta where I heard it was mellow. Yes it was indeed! I was the only one at the beach resort, the last guests visited two weeks ago from what the register indicated. I walked for a few miles on the sand to get to the resort, as I did not want to take a boat ride there, and got a bit harassed by a horde of kids asking for money. I had to do a bogeyman dance to scare them off. Along the way, I got to speak with some local fishermen who were supervising the building of their new canoe. After I told them I had been a fisherman in my youth, I got to ask them lots of technical questions about their ways of fishing.
After much needed rest (my pack is heavier than I thought!) I decided to head further East on the other side of the delta. Instead of going on the beach, I decided to walk through the fishermen`s village and it was a treat! (see slide show). There were no roads, no cars and no electricity. Just women cooking and washing, and kids playing. And the children, maybe in the proximity of their relatives, were sweet and not overwhelming like the day before on the beach. In the trotro out of town, I got so engaged in a conversation with a young Canadian that I missed my stop, and not willing to get dropped off at the border (Togo) town of Aflao, I decided to head north to Ho. I am now enjoying this quieter town, and had dinner with two young women, volunteers from Europe, after rescuing them from a local hustler who followed their cab to the restaurant.
Carrying my backpack feels strange. Now I am one of them tourists, sweating, wearing funny clothes and standing out like an eyesore. Everyone here dresses very sharp. I almost want to buy some fine clothes because I really feel like a tramp!

No comments: