Slowly Being Cooked, Accra, March 18


Last night, after a crazy day walking through town in a scorching heat, I arrived at the Nkrumah circle trotro station to catch my ride back to the hostel around 7PM. The station was jam packed with buses and people. What amazed me was the peace I felt in the lines of people waiting for their bus. There was no pushing, cheating or yelling. In the midst of what appears like complete chaos, with hundreds of trotros parked withing inches of each other, I felt a calm unity in this mass of people, and my body relaxed, surrendering to an energy that makes everything work here, maybe not to western standards, but it works. Today, while walking through the Makola market, acutely aware, as always, of being an "Obruni" (white man), a woman`s smile inspired my face to relax. I immediately felt a wave of smiles all around me, as if my energy affected the whole market. After 10 days in the city, I am beginning to feel like a person, an earth being, intricately connected to the web of souls here. It feels good to shed a bit of that sense of separation. Tomorrow, I will go to the neighborhood school to dance with the children. They`ve been asking about me so I have postponed my departure to the beaches to go play with them again. Their joy is so nurturing, it will charge me up before I head out of town into the country side (see video clip)

No comments: